Medicare-covered Diabetes Self-Management Training
Medicare covers diabetes self-management training. This service is covered under Medicare Part B. If you have a Medicare Advantage Plan or other Medicare Supplemental Plan, diabetes self-management training should be covered, but first check with your plan.
For diabetes self-management training to be covered you must have a written order from your doctor. The St. Mary Medical Center Diabetes Education Program is certified by the American Diabetes Association.
- Medicare will cover a total of 10 hours of initial diabetes self-management training.
- Your initial diabetes training must be completed no more than 12 months from the time you start.
- One hour of the 10 hours of training can be given as a one-on-one meeting.
- The other 9 hours are given in a group class.
- Medicare will also cover an initial 3 hours of individualized nutrition counseling to be completed within a calendar year.
- You are also covered for 2 hours of follow-up training each year, and 2 hours of nutrition counseling each year following your initial year of training.
- The 2 hours of follow-up training can be with a group or you may have a one-on- one meeting.
Important: Your doctor may prescribe 10 hours of individual training if you are blind or deaf, have language limitations, or if no group classes have been available within 2 months of your doctor’s order.