After tests and evaluation are complete than a course of treatment is selected.
Stroke caused by a blockage
If the stroke is an blockage of blood to the brain, treatment could include:
- tPA - (tissue plasminogen activator) a new clot-busting drug that can significantly reduce long-term disability if patient is an eligible candidate and treatment begins within the first three hours of the onset of stroke.
- Drugs that thin the blood - anticoagulants
- Drugs that break up clots - thrombolytics
- Drugs to stop the "chain reaction" of stroke damage
- Surgery to clean the insides of blood vessels and restore blood flow
- Procedures to dilate blocked blood vessels
Stroke as a result of hemorrhage
If the stroke is caused by hemorrhage, treatment could include:
- Drugs that maintain normal clotting
- Surgery to remove blood in the brain and decrease pressure on the brain
- Surgery to fix broken blood vessels
- Drugs that prevent or reverse swelling in the brain