Clinical Pastoral Education
Professional ministry is challenging on many levels; theologically, spiritually, culturally, and emotionally. The Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) process assists the adult learner to experience actual pastoral care encounters which provide opportunities for greater self awareness, skill development and potential transformation. St. Mary CPE Program offers ministry in acute care, long term care, elder services, outpatient care, home health and hospice care. With the guidance of an ACPE Supervisor the Chaplain Intern develops learning goals unique to her/his personal and professional development. These goals are pursued in a variety of settings such as clinical encounters, individual supervision, group process, verbatim analysis and didactic seminars. Worship experiences are sensitive to both ecumenical and interfaith students.
St. Mary CPE Program is the only CPE program in a tri-state area that resides in a faith based hospital. It consists of three partners: St. Mary Medical Center, Langhorne, PA, Holy Redeemer, Meadowbrook, PA and the Diocese of Camden, Camden, NJ. The program is accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education within a Catholic institution which is part of Catholic Health East. Progression in the St. Mary CPE Program can prepare students to seek board certification in The National Association of Catholic Chaplains (NACC) and the Association for Professional Chaplains (APC) or the National Association of Jewish Chaplains.
Faculty and Staff
Jack Geracci, RN, M.Div.
Director CPE Program
Sr. Arlene Primus, MSC
ACPE / NACC Supervisor
Administrative Coordinator, CPE Program
Programs We Offer
- Extended units-part-time (September – April)
Offered in the fall semesters, these part-time day and evening programs can be taken as full (400 hour) or half (250 hour) units. These units are generally for Level I students and may be developed in subsequent units to meet Level II outcomes. These programs are designed for clergy, religious seminarians and qualified lay persons. They meet once a week for educational seminars and require an eight hour clinical day per week as well as seven weekend on-call hours.
- Summer Units-full time (End of May –August)
Offered in a 10 or 11 summer semester, this full-time day program is available as a full (400 hour) unit. Summer units are intense. They are designed for religious, lay and graduate students. This semester focuses on awareness of oneself as a person and pastoral caregiver through supervised experience and skill-building. The program meets weekdays for educational seminars, required day clinical hours and seven weekend on-call hours.
- Supervisory Education
Supervisory education is a multi-year curriculum within the hospital and in cooperation with The Eastern Pennsylvania Institute for Pastoral Supervision (EPICS) that prepares students to work hands-on in the field. There are formal requirements for admission to this program. Supervisory students are selected on an individual basis.
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required for all entry levels of the program. (Exceptions may only be made by recommendation of the CPE Program Director.)
- A Master’s Degree in Theology, Divinity, Religious Studies, Pastoral Counseling, Spirituality or an equivalent is required for certification by the National Association of Catholic Chaplains, the Association of Professional Chaplains and other certifying bodies. Thus, those applying to the program with intent toward certification are encouraged to enter graduate level work.
Tuition and Expenses:
- 750.00 per unit (600.00 for students who submit their deposit by designated early date)
- 600.00 per unit for students returning to St. Mary CPE Program
- 50.00 non refundable Application Fee (Deducted from tuition upon acceptance)
- 100.00 Deposit toward tuition required upon acceptance
- Free Parking
Download the forms and information you need to apply for our Clinical Pastoral Education program at: www.acpe.edu (Required for Extended and Summer Programs. The application is found in the Membership, Fees and Forms drop down box.)
Please send completed application to:
St. Mary CPE Program
Ms. Phylis Benoit
1201 Langhorne-Newtown Road
Langhorne, PA 19047
Resources for You:
Association for Clinical Pastoral Education – www.acpe.edu
Association of Professional Chaplains – www.professionalchaplains.org
National Association of Catholic Chaplains- www.nacc.org
National Association of Jewish Chaplains- www.najc.org