Kyphoplasty is a minimally invasive surgery procedure used to treat painful, progressive vertebral compression fractures (VCFs). The spinal surgical procedure is especially helpful for patients with osteoporosis. The innovative technique combines vertbroplasty with balloon catheter technology. Bone cement is used to fill vertebral cavities, strengthening and stabilizing the spine and restoring the vertebral body to its orginal height.
The technique provides a range of benefits:
- Fracture pain is immediately reduced or eliminated
- Restores original height and shape
- Prevents further vertebral collapse
- Can be performed under intravenous sedation with local anesthetic or under general anesthetic
- Requires little or no physical therapy
- Allows patients to return almost immediately return to their daily activities