|High School students interested in pursuing a career in Health Information Management may benefit from basic and advanced coursework in biology, human anatomy and physiology, chemistry, health, statistics, foreign language, art, computer science and the social sciences. Paid or volunteer (connect link to Volunteer page) experience in the health care or human services field is often considered favorably by college admissions offices and can help a student considering multiple career options be more definitive in choosing his or her career path.
Five educational paths currently are available to potential Health Information Management Professionals:
- CCS: Coding Certificate Program: Designed for experienced hospital inpatient and outpatient Coding Specialist who are fluent in medical terminology, disease processes and pharmacology. The CCS credential is becoming an implicit industry standard.
- RHIT: Two year curriculum consisting of general coursework coupled with health data content and uses, and health data classification and reimbursement systems with a focus on preparing expert technical staff. Field work is a vital part of this program.
- RHIA: Four year curriculum with a strong foundation in general education establishing the groundwork for future advance course work at the graduate level. This program focuses on in-depth knowledge and skills in data content and uses healthcare systems, information systems analysis and design, statistical analysis and clinical data management and is designed to intract with all levels of an organization – clinical, financial and administrative. Field work is a vital part of this program.
- Graduate-Level HIM Programs: Designed for individuals who have a bachelor’s degree who is interested in executive level, enterprise-wide, administrative, research, and/or applied health informatics focused on evolving strategic and operational relevance and extensive clinical information resources of the healthcare industry and public health sector.
- Doctoral Degree HIM: Designed to attract individuals from a variety of educational backgrounds and disciplines who wish to build upon Graduate- Level courses with an interest in health informatics.
Schools with current HIM contracts with St. Mary Medical Center:
Temple University , Philadelphia, PA
Gywnedd Mercy College