Learning to Manage Your Own Health
What is this program?
Road to Healthier Living Workshops are peer-taught self-management programs for people living with chronic conditions. These workshops are offered two-and-a-half hours one day a week for six weeks. These workshops are offered free of charge.
Who can take part?
Anyone with chronic health conditions is welcome, and feel free to bring a family member or caregiver. We help individuals with the following conditions, but not limited to:
- Congestive Heart
- Chronic Fatigue
- Heart Disease
- Lung Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
*We offer a separate self-management workshop for patients diagnosed with Diabetes. Please refer to the Diabetes Self-Management Program below.
Read what one participant has said about this program:
"I am now eating a healthy breakfast, which I had not done in several years! I am also drinking more water and exercising every day. I feel less tired and I have more energy! I ma now able to manage my condition better with less anxiety," -- Tessie, 83, has arthritis, high cholestoral and GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease).
Sessions Begin Every Few Weeks at Convenient Locations. Click here for a schedule of upcoming sessions.
Learning to Manage Your Own Health:
Like anything else in life, it's important to have the right skills, support and direction to improve your quality of life. The Road to Healthier Living offers problem-solving and decision making skills that enable you to confront the challenges of living with a chronic illness. Courses are facilitated by two leaders, one or both of whom are trained peers who also have a chronic condition, including diabetes.
Chronic Disease Self-Management Workshop
Diabetes Self-Management Workshop
- Techniques to deal with difficult emotions, fatigue, pain, and to improve sleep
- Healthy eating and maintaining a healthy weight
- Develop and maintain a long-term exercise program to improve strength and balance, and to reduce falls
- Develop decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Communicate with family, friends and physicians
- Techniques to deal with symptoms of diabetes, fatigue, pain, hyper/hypoglycemia, stress and emotional problems such as anger, fear and frustration
- Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength and endurance
- Healthy eating
- Appropriate use of medication
- Working more effectively with healthcare providers
Registration Is Required. To find a workshop near you call 215.710.5888. Click here for a complete list of upcoming sessions!